Work Permit In China

If you want to hire a foreigner to work in China, they will need to apply for a work permit and residence permit from the Foreign Experts Affairs Bureau (FEA). With over 10 years of HR experience, GWBMA can assist expatriates and their families with the following services so that you don’t have to deal with the time-consuming paperwork:

Set up a FEA account for the company to apply for work permits**

– Fill out and submit the application form online
– Submit the application documents to the Labor Bureau
– Complete the account setup

Apply for work permits and residence permits for expatriates

– Assist in preparing application documents, such as application forms and the official application letter from the unit
– Assist employees in preparing required documents, such as providing reference letters and contract templates, translating reference letters, preparing explanation letters, etc. (if necessary)
– Fill out the application forms and submit the original documents to FEA
– Accompany the expatriate to submit the residence application
– Issue the work permit and residence permit


Let's Talk

Please get in touch with us and we will get back to you in 24 hours.
Name *
Field is required!
Field is required!
Email *
Field is required!
Field is required!
  • - select your country -
  • Åland Islands
  • Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • American Samoa (US)
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Bermuda (UK)
  • Bhutan
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burma (Myanmar)
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Comoros
  • Congo, Democratic Republic of the
  • Congo, Republic of the
  • Cook Islands (NZ)
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Cuba
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Djibouti
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • East Timor (Timor-Leste)
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Falkland Islands (UK)
  • Faroe Islands (Denmark)
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France
  • French Guiana
  • French Polynesia (France)
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar (UK)
  • Greece
  • Greenland (Denmark)
  • Grenada
  • Guam (US)
  • Guatemala
  • Guernsey (UK)
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong (China)
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man (UK)
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Ivory Coast
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jersey (UK)
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Korea, North
  • Korea, South
  • Kosovo
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macau (China)
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Malta
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritania
  • Mauritius
  • Mayotte (France)
  • Mexico
  • Micronesia, Federated States of
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • Nepal
  • Netherlands
  • New Caledonia (France)
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Niue (NZ)
  • Norfolk Island (Australia)
  • Northern Mariana Islands (US)
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palau
  • Palestinian territories
  • Panama
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Pitcairn Islands (UK)
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar
  • Réunion (France)
  • Romania
  • Russian Federation
  • Rwanda
  • São Tomé and Príncipe
  • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha (UK)
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France)
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • South Africa
  • South Sudan
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • Suriname
  • Svalbard and Jan Mayen (Norway)
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Tokelau (NZ)
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Uruguay
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • Wallis and Futuna (France)
  • Western Sahara
  • Yemen
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
- select your country -
Field is required!
Field is required!
Message *
Field is required!
Field is required!

China Work Permit & Residence

First-rate and All-round Work Visa Service

  • Comprehensive service process
    With help of technology simplifies the process of work permit application in China, you can chek the working procedure in your account.
  • High-speed and stead
    Let us share some of your burdens, we can provide you with services of long-term H&R stability.
  • Time Saving Service for Expat
    You can focus on your business,  your work Permit &residence application are handled by experts at every stage.
  • Do your business without worry
    When you’re applying for a work permit, we make it simple.

Apply for the work permit & Residence

The overall procedure to apply for the work permit & Residence premit in China

  • {{ item.smallTitle }}
  1. {{ item.title }}

    {{ item.timeMate }}

Work Permit and Residence Service

We provide comprehensive work permit and Residence services for Expats

New Work Permit

When your company decides to hire foreigner who needs to work in Mainland China, whether he/she is in China or not, we can provide the full service for the first application of Visa Z, Work permit, and Residence permit for them.

Change Work Permit

If the foreign employee change job, even if his/her work permit still has a long time to expire, the employee need to change the work permit and residence as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the new employer need to have FEA account.

Extend Work Permit

The company need to submit work permit renewal applications for their foreign workers at least 30 days prior to their expiry, according to the new regulation from the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (FEA).

Cancel Work Permit

If the employer and the foreign worker decide to terminate the labor contract in advance or after the expiration of the contract. The employer shall apply to the FEA for Work permit cancellation within 10 working days.

Basic Documents Required

Documents required to apply for the Work permit & Residence Permit in China


You need to provide the Photocopy of the Passport


2 photos (3.3 x 4.8 cm on a white background)​

No crime certificate

The No Criminal Certificate notarized by the Chinese embassy or Consulate

Academic Degree

Bachelor degree and diploma notarized by the Chinese embassy or Consulate

Working Experience

2 years Full time working Experience Proof

Businese License

Provide the Photocopy of the Employer 's Business License

Medical Examination

Go to the International Travel Medical Center to get the Medical Examination Certificate

Temporary Residence

Go to the Police or Hotel Reception to get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence

What do you get

Provide the Word Visa Service to work legally in China

Visa Z

The Visa Z is a single entry, the duration of stay time is 30 days, which means that you need to apply for the residence permit within 30 days from the date of entry in China.

Work Permit

There are 3 types of Work permit in China, including Class A, B, C. Normally, we need to use the FEA (Foreign Experts Affairs) account to apply Work Permit in the Governement.

Residence Permit

The residence permit is a long-term Visa that should be applied for in the Exit-Entry Administration Department. The foreigners with Valid Permit has the right to enter and leave.

Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about Work permit and Residence permit in China

What is the Z Visa in China?

Z Visa is issued to a foreigner who is invited to China for a post, research, or employment, etc, and his/her accompanying family members, it includes:

  • Foreigners come to China for employment or for some official Post;
  • Foreigner (Employed and assigned by a foreign enterprise) comes to Chinese Co-operation Company to finish some technical, scientific research, the management or guidance job;
  • Foreigners come to Chinese sports club/organization to have a trial (including coach and athlete);
  • Foreigners come to China for a film shooting (including advertisement film and documentary film);
  • Foreigners come to China for a fashion show (including model);
  • Foreign performance (for commercial performance)

I don’t have 2 years working expericne, but I have a master’s degree. Can I get the Work permit in China?

Under normal conditions, you need to have 2 years working experiences. However, in January 2017, the Chinese government introduced a new regulation, which allows some outstanding foreign college graduates to get a Work permit in China without work experience. but only for the foreign students who have graduated within one year and obtained a master’s degree or above in Colleges and universities in China or overseas countries.

Is there any requirement on the remaining valid period of the passport?

When we submit the document for the Application Notice of work permit, the remaining valid period of the passport shall be not less than 6 months.

I haven’t rented an apartment yet, can I get the residence permit first?

According to the Chinese Exit-Entry Administration Law, all foreigners have to register with the Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 24 hours of arrival. If you are staying at a hotel, the staff in the hotle reception will take care of this registration for you.

How can I get the Permanent Residence Permit in China?

Normally, you need to work in China continuously for 4 years with an annual net salary income (before tax) exceeding RMB 600,000 and have paid annual individual tax exceeding RMB 120,000. Meanwhile, you need to stay in mainland China for no less than 6 months every year in the four working years.

Moreover, if you hold high positions in the following state organizations, HQs, R&D center, or High technology companies, such as chairman, vice chairman, GM,  associate professor, etc. and you have worked consecutively for 4 years (residence in China no less than 3 years) with good individual tax. You and your family have the right to apply.

What are the types of work permit in China?

According to the Notice of Implementing the Work Permit System for Foreigners in China, the Z visa divided into three type, Category A, Category B and Category C. It means, for the Foreign High-end Talents (Category A), there is not quantity limit; for the Foreign Professional Talents (Category B), the quantity limit is set according to the market demand; for the Other Foreigners (Category C), which is meant for individuals not planning to work in China for extended periods of time, such as company representatives or internship.

What is the Foreign Experts Affairs (FEA) account?

Foreign Expert Affairs is the government bureau in charge of foreigner’s employment in China. According to the Regulation of foreign employment, the company that hires foreigners to work in China needs to open an account in the Foreign Expert Affairs (FEA) and apply for a work permit.

Do I need to provide the employment contract?

According to Contrat Law and relevant provisions, if you need to apply for the Work permit in China, you need to submit the Employment contract. If the foreigner sent to work in China has a labor contract with the overseas employer (Parent company) and the labor remuneration comes from overseas, the foreigner is not required to sign a labor contract with the Chinese employer, but the foreigner to work in China shall be issued by the overseas employer.

What are the Work permit requirements for Foreign language teachers?

Firstly the foreign language teachers shall teach their native languages, obtain the bachelor or above degree in the subject of their native languages, and have more than 2 years of language teaching experience. If a foreign teacher has obtained the bachelor or above degree in the subject of education, language or normal school, or the teacher qualification certificate issued by the country of the foreign teacher, or the required international language teaching certificate (for example, TEFL, TESOL and CELTA shall be certified by embassies and consulates or notarized by notary office), the work experience condition may be waived.

If the foreign staff is over 60 years old, can she/he apply for work permit?

There is no age limit for the foreigners who is the Legal representative or investors of the company in Mainland China, or they belong to Category A in the Work permit system, In other cases, the foreign staff who have more than 60 points in Category B of the Work permit system may apply for a work permit, but they shall not exceed the age of 65.