China Software Copyright Registration
The Computer Software refers to computer programs and related documents. The Computer Program refers to a sequence of coded instructions or a sequence of symbolic statements that can achieve a certain function. Furthermore, the documents refer to the text materials and charts used to describe the content, composition, design, functional specifications, development, test results, and use methods of the program, such as program design instructions, flow charts, operation manuals, etc. The source program and documents shall be submitted in First and Last 30 consecutive pages, and if the pages less than 60 pages shall be submitted in full version.
Basic Documents Required
- Software Name
- Short Name
- Version Number
- Development completion date
- The hardware environment for developing the Software
- The hardware environment to run the Software
- The operating system on which the Software was developed
- The Software development environment and development tools
- The running platform and operating system of the Software
- The Software’s operating environment or supporting Software
- The programming language used by the Software
- The purpose of developing the Software
- Fields and industries targeted by the Software
- Main functions of the Software
- Technical features of the Software
- Source file
- Software manual
Frequently Asked Questions
A. In China, copyright refers to the intellectual achievements that are original in the fields of literature, art, and science and can be copied in a tangible form. The work should meet the following conditions:
(1) Originality. That is, the work must be independently conceived and created by the author. Only original works are protected by copyright law.
(2) Reproducibility. That is, one or more copies of the work can be made by printing, copying, rubbing, recording, video, ripping, reverse shooting, etc. But no matter what copying method is used and how many works are copied, none will change the content of the work.
A. China Copyright Law protects works of:
- literature; art;
- natural sciences;
- social sciences;
- engineering and technology created in any forms of written, oral, musical, dramatic, choreographic, and acrobatic works;
- works of fine arts and architecture;
- photographic works;
- cinematographic works;
- graphic works;
- computer software;
- and other works by law (Article 3).
A. Applying for copyright registration of works in China, the foreigners or units are in accordance with the principle of national treatment, which is consistent with the registration materials required by Chinese citizens. Foreign language materials must be submitted in Chinese (except for sample works).
A. According to China Copyright Law, the following cannot be applied for Copyright:
- Laws, regulations, state organs’ resolutions, decisions, orders, and other documents with legislative, administrative, judicial nature, and their official translations;
- Current news;
- Calendar, general number table, general table and formula;
- Works beyond the protection period.
A. It will be completed within 30 working days after the registration agency accepts the registration application. If correction materials are needed, the applicant shall complete the correction within 60 days after receiving the correction notice, and the registration agency shall complete the correction within 30 working days after receiving the correction materials.
Q. What materials do I need to submit to apply for registration of copyright-related rights matters?
- Application Form for Registration of Rights Related to Copyright;
- Applicant’s identification document:
- Proof of ownership of rights;
- Samples of sound recordings, video products, layout designs, and materials that record performances, broadcasts, or TV content;
- When entrusting others to apply on behalf of the agent, the agent shall submit the applicant’s certificate of authorization and agent identification documents.
A. The copyright of a natural person’s software is protected for the lifetime of the natural person and 50 years after his death. If Computer Software is developed in cooperation. The protection ends on December 31 of the 50th year after the death of the last natural person. The Computer Software copyright of legal persons or other organizations shall be protected for 50 years after the first publication of the Computer Software. However, if the Computer Software has not been published within 50 years from the date of completion of development, it will no longer be protected.
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!