Copyright of Works Registration
Works Copyright refers to the intellectual achievements that are original in the fields of literature, art, and science and can be copied in a tangible form. Generally, China Copyright protects works of literature, art, sciences, engineering, and technology created in any form of written, oral, musical, dramatic, choreographic and acrobatic works, fine arts and architecture, photographic works, cinematographic works, graphic works, etc.
For the Works Copyright Registration, we need the Samples of works and the description of the work, please write the description in terms of the purpose, process and originality of the work, and attachment the applicant’s signature and date.
Basic Documents Required
- Name of Copyright
- Type of Copyright (Written Works, Oral Works, Music Works, Choreographic Works, Art Works, etc.)
- Purpose of creation (why the work was created)
- Creation process (the specific production process of the work from scratch, including how to conceive, creation time, what tools or computer software are used in the creation)
- Originality (the work is created by the author independently, and there is no case of copying others’ works)
- Passport copy & Passport translation
- Electronic version of work sample
Frequently Asked Questions
A. In China, copyright refers to the intellectual achievements that are original in the fields of literature, art, and science and can be copied in a tangible form. The work should meet the following conditions:
(1) Originality. That is, the work must be independently conceived and created by the author. Only original works are protected by copyright law.
(2) Reproducibility. That is, one or more copies of the work can be made by printing, copying, rubbing, recording, video, ripping, reverse shooting, etc. But no matter what copying method is used and how many works are copied, none will change the content of the work.
A. China Copyright Law protects works of:
- literature; art;
- natural sciences;
- social sciences;
- engineering and technology created in any forms of written, oral, musical, dramatic, choreographic, and acrobatic works;
- works of fine arts and architecture;
- photographic works;
- cinematographic works;
- graphic works;
- computer software;
- and other works by law (Article 3).
A. Applying for copyright registration of works in China, the foreigners or units are in accordance with the principle of national treatment, which is consistent with the registration materials required by Chinese citizens. Foreign language materials must be submitted in Chinese (except for sample works).
A. According to China Copyright Law, the following cannot be applied for Copyright:
- Laws, regulations, state organs’ resolutions, decisions, orders, and other documents with legislative, administrative, judicial nature, and their official translations;
- Current news;
- Calendar, general number table, general table and formula;
- Works beyond the protection period.
A. It will be completed within 30 working days after the registration agency accepts the registration application. If correction materials are needed, the applicant shall complete the correction within 60 days after receiving the correction notice, and the registration agency shall complete the correction within 30 working days after receiving the correction materials.
Q. What materials do I need to submit to apply for registration of copyright-related rights matters?
- Application Form for Registration of Rights Related to Copyright;
- Applicant’s identification document:
- Proof of ownership of rights;
- Samples of sound recordings, video products, layout designs, and materials that record performances, broadcasts, or TV content;
- When entrusting others to apply on behalf of the agent, the agent shall submit the applicant’s certificate of authorization and agent identification documents.
A. The copyright of a natural person’s software is protected for the lifetime of the natural person and 50 years after his death. If Computer Software is developed in cooperation. The protection ends on December 31 of the 50th year after the death of the last natural person. The Computer Software copyright of legal persons or other organizations shall be protected for 50 years after the first publication of the Computer Software. However, if the Computer Software has not been published within 50 years from the date of completion of development, it will no longer be protected.
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!